Cambridge, MA, United States
Engineering Lead - Mobile TeamApply Now
Engineering Lead - Mobile Team
Cambridge, MA, United States
Tech Team - Full-time
Dimagi is a global, 120-person software company that develops leading mobile technology for low-resource settings. Our software product, CommCare, is an award-winning, open source platform that enables non-programmers to design and launch customized mobile applications for Android devices. Hundreds of organizations from the UN to small grassroots groups are using mobile applications built with CommCare - be it to support community health programs in India, microfinance cooperatives in Senegal, or research studies in the United States.
Dimagi offers a fun and stimulating environment, a chance to see the world, and the opportunity to make a difference in the most under-resourced communities worldwide. We’re a recognized social enterprise and certified Benefit Corporation, reflecting our commitment to making a real impact through technology.
Who You Are
We are seeking a lead developer for our mobile team in our Cambridge, MA headquarters (we are not open to remote hires for this position). In this role, you will lead the development of our mobile platform and Android application (50%), mentor and backstop a small mobile team (<5 engineers) (25%), and interface with other teams to set the long-term technical direction of the mobile platform (25%). Android specific experience is not required, but a willingness to become an area expert is a must.
So who are you? You're someone who wants to do more than build another mobile shopping cart, and would rather solve deep technical problems on mobile devices. You're happy to think outside-of-the-package manager and are excited, rather than intimidated, when you realize that no one else has already built what you need. You’re driven by big challenges, and love the idea of leading a team to grow a mobile platform that’s built to solve them.
You enjoy working in highly flexible environments with other technical teams, and driving the design of a coordinated infrastructure. You have experience knowing how to push scalable solutions, and can build that capacity with your small, eager team of developers. You enjoy multi-tasking, and also value carved out time to get into the weeds.
Finally, you’re excited by the prospect of leveraging your knack for design and architecture to build impactful software. Like all developers at Dimagi, you’ll have a chance to travel to our international field sites to work with users firsthand - some of who may be using a smartphone for the first time in their lives - to understand their needs and improve the platform, all in an effort to deliver better services to millions of people worldwide.
- Grow our mature, open source Android product base
- Establish and backstop end-to-end practices for the mobile engineering team on release management and technical support
- Lead and mentor a small team of 2-3 engineers on the mobile team
- Interface with product and project teams to set the technical direction of the mobile platform roadmap
- Work with other technical teams at Dimagi to establish design and interfaces between software platforms
- 5+ years of relevant work experience as a software engineer
- Background in Java or similar OO language systems
- Experience leading and/or mentoring a small team of developers
- Experience working with a distributed, ideally international team
- Experience with Android development
- Experience with tools for testing, releasing, and supporting Android applications (specifically Gradle, Jenkins, Robolectric, and Calabash)
- Experience with end-user programming systems, low-level profiling/performance tuning in Java, or in-depth knowledge of the Android platform