Dimagi is seeking a Cape Town-based Technical Project Management Lead (TPM) to lead the design and delivery of our custom solutions across Africa
The position is available immediately. If interested,
- Please send your 1 or 2 page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18th, 2016
- Please include a cover letter telling us why you are suited for this position
- Please indicate “Cape Town Technical Project Management Lead – your First Name” in the email subject line
Why this is an amazing opportunity
- Tackle cutting edge problems of using technology for development, daily
- International exposure to some of the biggest projects in developing countries
- We are a dynamic execution focused team that maintains a social culture. We are excited to come to work every day
- This is a core role at Dimagi with a lot of room for growth, working from Cape Town with our global teams in Boston, Dakar and Delhi
- Live in Cape Town working with an international multi-disciplinary team
- Be challenged & fulfilled
Job description – what will you do
Technical Project Managers at Dimagi blend technical design and consulting skills to develop creative mobile technology solutions that enable people to live healthier and more productive lives. Technical Project Management Lead will travel to project sites throughout Africa to meet end users, understand their needs, and design a solution that combines mobile apps with non-technology workflows to solve complex challenges in low-resource settings. The TPM is responsible for leading the project team in developing the solution, configuring complex features, as well as acting as the liaison between our engineers and our end users.
As TPM, you will be the primary architect of our most complex custom solutions. Your job will be comprised of the following primary responsibilities:
- You will be a thought leader in how our technology can best impact the world. TPMs lead the design of technology solutions in regions where internet and/or electricity are often not available. TPMs lead project scoping and combine CommCare and non-tech workflows creatively to build a sustainable solution that works for the users. After design TPMs are responsible for managing the building process by overseeing a team of resources.
- Work with Product Management: The TPMs are a key part of the Product Management team and continually work to improve our product. TPMs are the main drivers of new feature specification, development, testing, and release.
- You will be responsible for leading the design of our most complex projects. We have projects all over the world and you’ll be managing them often across multiple countries. You must have excellent communication skills, be incredibly detail-oriented, and be able to work with users from different cultural backgrounds, from Antananarivo to Zagreb.
Is this the right position for me?
We look for people who are interested in understanding what makes technology work in practice in low-resource settings. You’re able to self-organize and self-manage, and you love helping people solve difficult problems. You prefer small organizations to large ones, multi-tasking to single-project assignments, and a social atmosphere. You are detail oriented and comfortable with diving into the nitty gritty of technology.
Required Skills & Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in a technical position, producing technical designs
- BSc/B. in a computer science or other technical field, from recognized university
- Demonstrated expertise in collecting and managing requirements from different stakeholders and delivering against those
- Must be technically savvy and enjoy the design process to build applications that meet business goals and objectives
- Demonstrated experience working in and coordinating dynamic teams of techies
- Demonstrated self-starter and fearlessly self-accountable
- Demonstrated reliability to deliver on time, and ability to have successfully completed multiple, complex projects
- Eligible to work in or obtain a work visa for South Africa
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with Fluency in English
- Interest in making a social impact
Not required, Bonus Skills
- Leadership experience in the adoption of best practices
- Product management or development experience
- Consulting experience delivering enterprise software implementations or other technical field
- Fluency in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Swahili or Hindi a bonus
- Data analysis experience a bonus
Benefits at Dimagi
- Travel around the world: Our staff has travelled to 42 countries for work. Visit the 43rd
- Work anytime, anywhere: Work your own hours from anywhere, including any of our global offices.
- Generous time off: 30 days of PTO, 10 personal initiative days (independent projects), & unlimited sick days
- Fulfilling work: Work directly with end users in some of the world’s most underserved communities.
- Play with cool stuff: We purchase whatever technology you need to get your work done.
- Prepare for retirement: Dimagi offers a 401k in the U.S., Employees’ Provident Fund in India, and a Retirement Fund in South Africa; all of our retirement benefits include company matching
- Excellent health insurance: Outstanding medical plan, fully covered for you and your family
- Great parental leave policy: 12 weeks of leave to primary caregivers, six weeks to non-primary givers
- Employee stock options: You’ll have a stake in the future success of Dimagi.