Dimagi is seeking a Cape Town-based Field Engineer to design and deliver our custom mobile solutions across Africa.
The position is available immediately. If interested,
- Please send your 1 or 2 page CV to email@example.com By August 25th 2016
- Please include a cover letter telling us why you are suited for this position
- Please indicate “Cape Town Field Engineer” in the email subject line.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
- Tackle cutting edge problems of using technology for development, daily
- International exposure to some of the biggest projects in developing countries
- We are a dynamic execution focused team that maintains a social culture. We are excited to come to work every day
- This is a core role at Dimagi with a lot of room for growth, working from Cape Town with our global teams in Boston, Dakar and Delhi
- Live in Cape Town working with an international multi-disciplinary team
- Be challenged & fulfilled
Dimagi is seeking a Field Engineer for our expanding work in Southern Africa. We are looking for an adventurous individual who is eager to work with a diverse team in an exciting work environment. You will have the opportunity to work on the frontline with community health workers, become an expert on Dimagi products and technologies (like CommCare), and expand the partners and projects that Dimagi employs extensively throughout Southern Africa. You will be based out of Dimagi’s South Africa office in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Project needs assessments and technology requirements definition
- Solution design and development of mobile technology systems using Dimagi’s open source tools
- Development of software test plans, as well as load testing and quality assurance (QA) of our mobile phone tools
- Training groups of end users how to use the tool effectively
- Technical documentation as well as the development of visual learning aids
- Technical and programmatic support and monitoring of project activity
- Data analysis and development of data analysis tools and reports to ensure that the information gathered by our mobile tool is meaningful and actionable to our partners
Skills & Requirements
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
- At least 2 years of work experience
- Fluency in English
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts effectively to very non-technical users
- Experience with XML, MySQL or other relational database, Excel, Access or other technical platforms
- Reliable, self-directed, and resourceful
- Flexible, able to wear many hats / take on multiple roles and able to get things done
- Interested and able to work in a multi-cultural, distributed, and international team setting
- Eligible to work in or obtain a work visa for South Africa
Note that experience with programming mobile phones is NOT a requirement, since Dimagi tools allow applications to be built by system administrators through a user-facing web interface.
- 2 – 4 years relevant work experience
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, or French
- Prior experience working with NGOs in sub-Saharan Africa
- Quantitative data management skills and data analysis
- Experience with Python or other web technologies
- Experience with a data analysis tool such as R
- Experience with the complete software development lifecycle
- Desire to make a social impact
Is this the right position for me?
The ideal candidate is interested in understanding what makes technology work in practice in low-resource settings. This person is able to self-organize and self-manage, thrives on the intricacy and challenge of project management and technical details, enjoys travel and field work, and functions at a high level when interacting with existing and potential partners. This person prefers small organizations to large ones, multi-tasking to single-project assignments, and a highly social atmosphere. This person is detail oriented and comfortable with mobile tools and has been exposed to the software development process, if is not a developer (former or otherwise) themselves.
All first-year Field Engineers receive a salary that covers their living expenses for the year, including food, housing, travel, and leisure activities, encouraging a ‘frugal but comfortable’ lifestyle. All project travel is also reimbursed. Field Engineers are eligible to receive a significant salary increase in their second year, contingent on performance, as well as have the option to take on increased responsibility in their long-term careers. Dimagi is very flexible in terms of growth and career progression, and is often able to accommodate people’s interests in defining their current and future roles.
Other Job Perks
- Do you like travel? You will get significant travel experiences within the country you will be working from, often to very off the beaten path locations (where the real work happens). You will also get unique opportunities to travel internationally within your first two years, either to a different country for project travel, to a different country office, or both.
- Onboarding, which includes one week of classroom sessions, followed by shadowing an existing project, will be in Boston, Cape Town, Dakar or Delhi. Location of onboarding will be dependent upon logistical factors.
- Team Summits. The entire team in your region or country will get together at least annually to meet each other, discuss goals, debate strategy, and have some fun. Read about two field managers’ takes on summits in Cape Town and Dakar.
- If you are asked to move to a country that isn’t where you are from, you are eligible for one roundtrip flight home per year, paid for by Dimagi.
- ‘Personal Initiative Days’. This is blocked off time, outside of work responsibilities, to come up with tangible outputs of impactful ideas that align with your job.
- Each year, you will get 30 days paid time off, inclusive of public holidays, to use to relax, travel, or visit home.
- Flexibility to explore new areas of interest (research, project management, data analysis, business development, etc.) while still growing a career.