We are currently recruiting an Agriculture Field Manager for our work in Africa.
If interested, please send your CV, cover letter and a short writing sample (2 pages or less) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov 28th, 2016. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position. Please indicate “Agriculture Field Manager – your First Name” in the subject line of your email.
Dimagi’s Field Managers are the main drivers in implementing our technology all over the world. They share a passion for challenging experiences, making things work in trying environments, and developing solutions that enable people to live healthier and more productive lives.
As an Agriculture Field Manager, you will be based out of Cape Town and travel extensively in Africa to deploy CommCare, a mobile phone application for frontline workforces in Agriculture sector. We have an impressive range of partner organizations across several countries in Africa. You will join our global team of Field Managers and share lessons learned and expertise from around the world. You will receive regular mentorship and support from our office in Cape Town. Within your first two years, you will also have at least one opportunity to travel internationally, either to a different country office or for international project work.
- mAgriculture project management and partnership coordination
- Technical needs assessment of a wide range of agricultural programs
- Design and develop mobile technology systems using Dimagi’s mobile platform CommCare
- Development of software test plans, as well as load testing and quality assurance (QA) of our mobile phone tools
- Training groups of users on how to use the tool effectively
- Technical documentation as well as the development of visual learning aids
- Provide programmatic support and monitoring of project activity
- Data analysis and development of data analysis tools and reports to ensure that the information gathered by our mobile tool is meaningful and actionable to our partners
Skills & Requirements
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- 1 – 3+ years of work experience with at least 1 year experience in agriculture sector
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Reliable, self-directed, and resourceful
- Able to juggle many things at once
- Flexible and able to wear many hats / take on multiple roles
- Interested and able to work in a multi-cultural, distributed, and international team setting
- Fluency in English
- Eligibility to work in South Africa or Mozambique
- 1-2+ years of project management experience
- Quantitative data management and data analysis skills
- Experience working in Africa
- Desire to make a social impact
- Fluency in French, Portuguese, or Spanish is an asset.
Is this the right position for me?
Our Agricultural Field Manager position is designed for adventurous, adaptable, self-motivated people who are seeking field experience. While we require a 24-month commitment for this position, employment at Dimagi is open ended. This makes it a great position for someone seeking to build a career in international development or Agriculture sector.
All first-year Field Managers receive a salary that covers their living expenses for the year, including food, housing, travel, and leisure activities, encouraging a ‘frugal but comfortable’ lifestyle. All project travel is also reimbursed. Field Managers will receive a significant salary increase in their second year, as well as have the option to take on increased responsibility in their long-term careers. Dimagi is very flexible in terms of growth and career progression, and is often able to accommodate people’s interests in defining their current and future roles.
Other Job Perks
- Do you like travel? You will get significant travel experiences, often to very off-the-beaten-path locations (where the real work happens). You will also get unique opportunities to travel internationally within your first two years, either to a different country for project travel, to a different country office, or both.
- Extensive onboarding. This includes 1 – 2 weeks of training, followed by shadowing on existing projects, location depending on project availability.
- Team Summits. The entire team will get together at least annually to meet each other, discuss goals, debate strategy, and have some fun. Read about two field managers’ takes on summits in Cape Townand Dakar.
- If you are asked to move to a country that is not where you are from, you are eligible for one roundtrip flight home per year, paid for by Dimagi.
- ‘Personal Initiative Days’. This is blocked off time, outside of work responsibilities, to come up with tangible outputs of impactful ideas that align with your job.
- Each year, you will get 30 days paid time off.